By: The Editorial Board
Southern Living rolled out its yearly ranking for the best Southern Cities, Small Towns, Family Getaways, Resorts, State Parks, Scenic Drives, BBQ Joints, Bakeries, Breweries and Cities on the Rise.
North Carolina was featured several times on those best lists.
Here are North Carolina’s top mentions:
- Beaufort, North Carolina, ranked No. 5 for the South’s Best Small Towns 2022
- Two North Carolina cities made the top 10 for South’s Best Cities – featuring Asheville at No. 3 and Charlotte at No. 7.
- Two North Carolina beaches made the top 10 for the South’s Best Beach Towns – featuring Ocracoke at No. 9 and Wrightsville Beach at No. 7
- Chapel Hill came in at No. 2 for the South’s Best College Towns.
North Carolina also dominated in these areas:
- South’s Best Scenic Drive: Blueridge Parkway
- South’s Best State Park: Grandfather Mountain
- South’s Best Lake City: Lake Lure
- South’s Best Resort: Biltmore Estate
Additionally, Asheville’s Buxton Hall received the honor of North Carolina’s best BBQ joint. While Raleigh’s very own Boulted Bread and Brevard’s Bracken Mountain Bakery are touted as the state’s best bakeries.
You can find the full lists at https://www.southernliving.com/souths-best.